Wednesday

Contestant Tea Party




January 15, 2010


Just this time last year I was preparing for the Texas International Pageant. I remember how nervous I was about …well…everything!  All that changed when my mom and I made a trip to Houston for a luncheon and pageant workshop for all of the contestants. Meeting a few of the girls and making new friends ahead of time made pageant weekend that much more fun and relaxing!
So that this year’s contestants could also meet each other before pageant weekend, my mom and I decided to host a tea party. As my duties of Miss Teen Texas International 2010 were coming to an end, I wanted this event to be really special. Mom and I had a blast planning out all of the details for the party.  We even made purple sash-like napkin rings out of satin and rhinestones!   
Valerie Hayes and I!
Bad weather made it impossible for some to make it, but for those that came, we laughed a lot and in true pageant fashion…posed for tons of pictures!  Not only did the girls get to meet each other, they also had the opportunity to meet and talk with Valerie Hayes (The Pageant interview coach and Host of Pageant Talk Radio)!  In the pageant world, Valerie is the “go to” person if you want to improve your interview skills, so this was a real treat.  
 Before everyone said their “good bye’s” and “see you in March” phone numbers were exchanged and plans were already underway to keep in touch thru email and facebook.    I even overheard a few of the moms making lunch dates and organizing shopping trips together while their girls would be in rehearsals! 
 Having my sister queen Natalie McLarty (Mrs. Texas International), and our fabulous Director, Kristin Koether here helped make the day special  and the day couldn’t have gone better, but  having Ashley Smith (Miss Texas International and Miss International) here  would have made the party absolutely perfect.  So how do you end a great day? By watching Miss America that’s how! I’m so happy that Miss Texas America, Ashley Melnick placed in the top 12 and congrats to Teresa Scanlan for winning Miss America 2011!
Natalie poses with some Miss and Mrs. contestants
Me with a few of the Teen contestants

Me, Kristin Koether and Natalie McLarty


FOOD!
Natalie and Saige McLarty