Monday

Inclusion Works!


Many of us take going to school or being included in our community for granted and couldn't imagine what it would be like to be excluded from our community or society. Well for tens of thousands of Americans with disabilities, this is their reality. But don’t be discouraged… be active in the movement of change!  
On February 23, 2011 I was invited help kick of the 18th annual  Arc of Texas’ Inclusion Works! conference in Austin, TX.  There were 800+ conference attendees that I was able to share my  family’s story with. I spoke about how important inclusion is and what it means to my sister who has an intellectual disability. The Inclusion Works conference is a jammed packed  2 day event  where teacher’s, administrators and advocates of the disabled can learn how to promote inclusion in their schools and community.
Kristin Dougherty and Nick Holzthum
At the event I had the pleasure of meeting Kristin Dougherty and Nick Holzthum from  “I am Norm”. “ I am Norm” is a group of teenagers that are redefining what it means to be normal and embracing the individuality of those with “different abilities”. The “ I am Norm” concept is so refreshing and I know that you will be hearing and seeing more of them on every school campus in the near future.  I urge you to visit their website and show them your support.  Here is their site www.iamnorm.org.
 After my speech I turn the microphone over to Kristin and Nick, and then did what every pageant girl knows how to do….make a fast change into your evening gown! I signed autographs, took a few pictures and talked with many of the conference guests about my family and my organization V.I.P.  C.H.I.C.  I even met a teacher from Keller High School! I graduated from Keller H.S in 2010, and my sister Simone will be a freshman next year! Before I close I want to give a special shout out to Cotulla ISD. Cotulla had 3 school Principals and an Assistant Superintendant attend the conference!! Great job Cotulla!

Cheri Hart, Principal Ramirez Elementary, Cotulla
Paul Abundez, Cotulla ISD Asst. Superintendant
Michael Murphy, Newman Middle School Principal, Cotulla
Dirk Dykstra, Principal Cotulla High School