Wednesday

Rose L. Hardy Middle School, Washington, D.C.

May 26, 2011
As the spokesperson for The Arc of Texas and Miss Texas Galaxy 2011, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the state of Texas. Because Texas is so vast, it’s not unusual for me to travel more than 300 miles round trip for an appearance/event.  But on May 26, 2011 I didn’t even have to leave home!  I sat at my kitchen table and used modern technology to “visit” with Mrs. Kimberly Hughes’ 6th grade Language Arts class from the Rose L. Hardy Middle school in Washington D.C.!
 The students had been encouraged to find an organization or worthy cause that they were passionate about, and  to find creative ways to raise funds for that organization.   When I learned that the students were using my story and website as an example/model and wanted to “meet” me, a computer was set up in the classroom so that we could “skype”.  We talked about how and why I started VIP CHIC, my future plans and what it’s like being Miss Texas Galaxy.  During my “virtual visit” with the kids, I even got a chance to say hello to Assistant Principal, Mr. Sah Brown, so cool!
It is truly uplifting to know that because of my passion to raise awareness and funds for those with intellectual and developmental disabilities, I have inspired other young people to reach out and give back to their own communities in many different ways.  This was definitely a “Green” appearance and hope to have many more in the future!



Students In the skype picture are;  Bryant, Elijah, Shadijah, Taylor, Tamara, Rachel, Vaughn, Llana, Carolyn.  Thanks guys for taking time out your studies to chat with me! Good luck on your project and keep in touch!