Tuesday

March Madness !!!


The month of March has always been a special month in my family. My mom, grandmother, and several cousins celebrate their birthdays in March. And, if you are lucky enough to live in Texas, you know that March is Spring Break for students!  However, it wasn’t until my sister Simone was born that my family realized that the month of March would be special for a very different reason. If you are not aware, the month of March has the honor of being National Disability Awareness month and World Down Syndrome Day. Thanks to social media like facebook, twitter and instagram, the word is out and the level of accepting people for their “potential” rather than their “inability” is rising. I couldn’t be happier.

This month I would like to challenge you to embrace others differences. I promise that when you do, you will receive something more valuable than an open mind. You will gain a compassionate heart, new friendships that transcend prejudice, and you will fully understand what it means to be authentically accepted just as you are!

May I ask just one more thing? Please consider donating your resources (whether it’s financial or a few hours a month) to worthy organizations like Special Olympics, Down Syndrome’s Buddy Walk, Autism Speaks, or your local ARC chapter. They make it their mission to enhance the quality of life and create opportunities for those with disabilities that otherwise would not exist.  It’s hard to believe that some of the most basic human rights still have to be fought for. 

I hope everyone had a great spring break and please check in frequently for blogs about appearances and updates on my journey to the Miss Texas International Pageant in April!
 
 

The Arc's national office participated in Lots Of Socks on March 21st, which is a fun way to raise awareness of World Down Syndrome Day!