Saturday

Area 11 Equestrian Special Olympics

On April 11, 2010 I had the privilege to participate in handing out the awards for the Area 11 Equestrian Special Olympics. This event was my first official appearance as Miss Teen Texas International and very exciting to me because as I have a younger sister who will compete here next year! The event was hosted by Riding Unlimited of Ponder, Texas. They did a wonderful job making sure everyone had a great seat to watch the events and the food was yummy! I really enjoyed being included in the opening ceremonies as one of the carriers for the American Flag. You could really feel the excitement in the air as everyone cited the Special Olympic Oath, The Pledge of Allegiance and sang the National Anthem. All of the riders looked so amazing in their English and Western attire, and I was really impressed by their skill and level of horsemanship. One of the highlights for me was getting the chance to meet some of the riders and their horses during my breaks. One of the riders that I had the pleasure of meeting was Casey Barnes. As I was admiring Casey’s pink riding helmet and matching Ed Hardy belt, she was admiring my crown. We couldn’t resist switching our head gear for a photo op! I want to congratulate everyone who participated and wish you all the best at the Texas State Equestrian competition. I will be cheering for you!